Friday 12 November 2021

Fun times without wine

I posted my cathartic list of the fun times I have had with drinking that may become collateral damage if I decide to go the distance with being alcohol free. It’s tough to think about giving those up. But those rose-tinted moments, however lovely, don’t actually even rank in my top happiest, proudest, free-est moments. What does that tell you? I’m putting up with hangovers, guilt, anxiety, for a handful of happy times that don’t even make the list. 

Here’s the actual list of some of the wonderful things that have happened without wine (and most often as a direct result of NOT drinking. Cos let’s face it, there are no coincidences people.)


  • Given birth, twice.

  • Climbed Mt Rinjani, a volcano in Lombok. We had our ten-month-old baby in a backpack, and I was eight weeks pregnant. It felt amazing.

  • Paraglided in the Annapurna range in Pokhara, Nepal.

  • Walked the Langtang Valley trek in the Himalayas. We took about 6 days and the altitude was way too high to enjoy a drink.

  • Walked along a sleepy railway track in Ella, Sri Lanka, to watch a train crossing an incredible nine-arch bridge.

  • Done a lot of yoga.

  • Walked my dog around the park in the early morning mist, with the kids still in Pjs, racing around on their bikes.

  • Got lost in craft supply shops.

  • Made Halloween and Christmas decorations at the dining table with my children.

  • Ordered room service breakfast on the morning of our wedding.

  • Spent a week on the Gili Islands.

  • Cycled around the neighbourhood on Christmas Eve to see the Christmas lights, with the babies on the backs of our bicycles.

  • Taught my daughter how to read.

  • Had mushrooms and scrambled egg on an English muffin for breakfast (made by my husband).

  • Got up at 3am to start a half-marathon (twice).

  • Watched elephants from an open jeep in Udawalawe, Sri Lanka.


What's on your list?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Here we go again

 Another year, another post.  Day 9 Not too bad. Am still feeling tired in the mornings, and headachy, but giddy with joy, that it's not...