Friday 5 November 2021

What the wine witch whispers: Fun times with wine

I don’t want to glamourise drinking, or give more of a voice to the old wine witch than she already tries to occupy in my head. But I do think there is perhaps a mindfulness exercise in writing out some of the memories and situations she is planting in my thoughts. Then I can recognise them, acknowledge them for the good memories they are, but not let them lead me away from the new goal I’ve set myself.


  • Pints in a pub garden in May/June

  • Post-work craft beers with colleagues

  • Red wine on the sleeper train from London to Scotland

  • Chilled beers on the beach / in the park / by the pool with my friends

  • Hot sake in Kyoto

  • Warm beers on the terrace of a tea plantation in Sri Lanka, watching fireflies

  • Beer at the airport before a flight

  • Glass of red wine on a long-haul flight, just before they turn the lights down

  • Wine with husband on the sofa

  • 2 bottles of Malbec on my first date with my husband

  • Mulled wine at Christmas


BUT bad times with drinking:


  • The smell of last night’s Sambuca shots (never mine, I hate it!) on the serving trays at my bar job.

  • That mouth-filling-with-saliva moment you realise a Tequila or Jägermeister shot has not gone down well.

  • Standing up and realising you’ve had too many.

  • Lying down and closing your eyes and feeling the world spin.

  • Waking up at 3am, needing the loo and a glass of water.

  • Coming home later than you said/promised you would.

  • Leaving belongings in the bar or at the house you went to.

  • Dinner bills being twice as much.

  • Forgetting the end of movies / TV shows and having to rewatch them the next day.

  • Increasing anxiety, feeling of dread the older I’ve become.

  • Too much time thinking about not drinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Here we go again

 Another year, another post.  Day 9 Not too bad. Am still feeling tired in the mornings, and headachy, but giddy with joy, that it's not...