Tuesday 16 November 2021

Day 22 and 23: Beginning of another week - you never regret not drinking when it comes to the end of the night

Still here, still fine.

I didn't sleep well last night - kept waking with heart racing. It almost felt like I'd had too much caffeine, even though I hadn't had anything. Think that's going to be worse tonight as I've just necked two diet cokes over dinner.

I went to a local craft beer place with a couple of girlfriends. Felt very self-conscious asking for my soft drink instead of my usual beer, but no one commented. 

I was pleasantly surprised to feel a lot more relaxed than I did a couple of weeks back. I found myself being chatty and laughing til my stomach hurt, much like I'd expect on a 'normal' night. Perhaps because it was only two friends - am I reverting back to my pre-drinking introverted self? That's what Catherine Gray says about herself in her book, and I feel myself identifying with that so much. The loud party me only worked with a drink in my hand. 

We left the bar at a very respectable 8.30pm, and I walked back through the quiet back streets, past the first Christmas lights already up on some of the houses. It's a warm evening with a little breeze stopping it from becoming unbearable. It's only Tuesday night so the streets were mostly empty and it felt so lovely to be out there on my own in the dark. I had a real bounce in my step as I crossed the stream near my house, knowing that I am completely sober (and very hydrated with two sodas and two diet cokes in two and a half hours).

Someone on the Club Soda Facebook group said, you never regret not drinking when it comes to the end of the night (or the next morning). Totally true. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Here we go again

 Another year, another post.  Day 9 Not too bad. Am still feeling tired in the mornings, and headachy, but giddy with joy, that it's not...